Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Naturalist and Explorer



This is me hugging a tree in Humboldt Park, Chicago. Humboldt Park is 207 acres on the northwest side of the city. I have lived in three different apartments in the Humboldt Park neighborhood. I dug it. It was pretty good living for the city dweller in me. But today, cozy in my snowy country home, I was finally curious enough about the history of who this Humboldt character was. Who was this man who was honored enough to get a 207 acre city park named after him?

Turns out his name was "Friedrich Wilhelm Heinrich Alexander Freiherr von Humboldt." He was German. He lived from 1769 to 1859. He was a naturalist and explorer, but never made it through Chicago!

Check this out. He wrote a book called, "Cosmos: Draft of a Physical Description of The World." Now I am VERY curious.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can we get our hands on that book?