Thursday, February 12, 2009

Cabin Fever (even though we had a thaw - blah blah blah)


Getting out into nature can be very therapeutic. When spring hits full swing, I promise the skin I live in, to be outside 95% of the time. Modern buildings, with their heavy structures, give us humans a false sense of security. Fires burn in Australia; water and wind slosh all around the globe with different ebbs, flows, beauties and sorrows.

This past autumn I had an epiphany of sorts while sitting in the woods listening to the leaves fall. WARNING; I am not saying it’s a cure-all; in fact it could take you deeper into the unknown. While sitting there, I experienced calm, comfort, assurance, but anxiety always seems to be a creep away. This is my close, personal description of one of the most standard human experiences. Is a hunter right behind me, colorblindly seeing my Girl Pink as Deer Brown? Are big brothers watching and teasing? Is god taking scrupulous notes? Right there, a creep away? Are they standing on your shoulders? They are standing on my shoulders.

But once you come to terms with this presences, there is a freedom in knowing the inescapable position we find ourselves in. “Ah, I will feel pain when I feel pain. I will feel joy when I feel joy. These elements shall ebb and flow like Earth, the macrocosm we inhabit.

This past week Northern Michigan experienced a February thaw, with temperatures reaching near 60 degrees Fahrenheit. I did indeed experience moments of joy when not having to dress to full layer capacity. This feeling this feeling; perhaps it’s the sap surging up through my roots.

Is a blank canvas an empty imagination? Or a full one?

The Layers Show (19 degrees Fahrenheit)

Pink Hat, $10 Walgreen’s Downtown Seattle
Sunglasses, $12 Walgreen’s U Village Seattle
Bright Blue Tee, $2.50, Village Discount Chicago
Smartwool Underlayer, $50, Uncle Something, Chicago
Woolrich Green Zipper Turtle Neck, $2.50, Goldmine, P-town
Neck warmer, over priced, REI, Chi-burbs
Black fleece hoodie, $2.50, Goldmine, P-town
Pink ‘n Brown hoodie vest, $20, K-mart, Seattle
Bright Yellow safety socks, $1.00, New Beginnings, Harbor Springs
Pink Burton Mittens, Thanks Barbra! Christmas present.
Ring, Thanks Daphna! Christmas present LONG time ago.

A weekend Island getaway with some of the best birders, foxers, and river skiiers in Northern Michigan………priceless.

No comments: