Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Merino Wool Socks


It’s been a busy weekend. I’ve soaked up a lot of information, entertainment and inspiration. All the while, I’ve been testing out some new socks. Over the Christmas time holidays, I received awesome items to keep me warm through the rest of the winter. Thanks to loving family and friends, I can now retire some holy socks to their next incarnation as wrist warmers.

I now own six pairs of brand new merino wool socks, one pair of lavender colored fuzzy house slippers and a pair of pink Burton mittens, with pockets in them!

With a few exceptions, pretty much the only socks I’ve worn in the last three years are Maggie’s Organic Cotton socks, and Smartwool socks. Before discovering these two awesome makes of socks, I often had really uncomfortable feet. I think this is because my body in general does not respond well to synthetic materials. I’m not an excessively sweaty person, but put me in synthetics and I’m bound to get sticky, stinky and irritable all over very quickly. My body is saying, “yuck, don’t put that shit one me.”

I fell in love with merino wool socks.

Merino wool socks
are great for travelers. If your feet do not get too funky, you can wear one pair for a few days before washing! Just turn them inside out to let them air out during the night time and with just one pair, you’ll be good to go for a few days! They are SO great!

So far, since this past gift giving season, I have tested out two pairs of Maggie’s Organic Wool Socks, and two pairs of SmartWool’s. Honestly, all four pairs get a SUPER A+ in my book. I totally love them all. They give your feet a soft and cozy hideaway and keep them the perfect temperature and moisture level. These socks are the next best thing to being barefoot, you don’t event feel like you have socks on because you never get bothered by them. It sucks when socks are always falling down. These all stay up and in place really well. They hug your feet in all the right places.

Some are slightly thicker like Maggie’s Olive colored Killington Mountain Hiker, (selling like hotcakes!) but I could even imagine keeping these in my summer wardrobe rotation (especially with all this global weirding.) Merino wool socks are always the grand finale to any of my stellar multi layered outfits.

So I was thankful to be wearing these thicker wool socks when I traveled through traffic and high snowdrifts to get to the Winter Quarter, Michigan NORML meeting. It's an exciting time if you are keeping up with the fact the the "counter culture" is now, "the culture."

It was an exciting trip downstate but when the snow melted off my boots while I was sitting through the meeting, I was glad to have my super socks on. They kept me feeling warm an cozy in my traveliv’ homey’s (Which are my cheap pink boots that are NOT holding up so well!).

Merino wool socks are a great gift anytime of year! And if I needed any more, (which I don’t really, 6 pair last so long I won’t have to do laundry as often!)

[[!!But watch out if you are buying for a vegan extreme // I'm a relaxed vegan when it come to wool, used leather and honey. The advantages outweigh the disadvantages in my book, but think before you buy for an extreme vegan or animal rights folk!!]]

I would totally recommend Maggie’s Functional Organics since they are a company here in Michigan providing an outstanding wool sock product! Yumm. My feet get happy just thinking about them, mmm mmm mmm to merino wool socks!

1 comment:

Nellie Eve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.